Sunday, November 15, 2009

What is the relationship b/w life satisfaction and reputation of the university where you recieved your degree

For type of degree, please specify what type of degree, e.g., Master's, PhD, etc.





My fiancee and I are having a friendly debate :- )

What is the relationship b/w life satisfaction and reputation of the university where you recieved your degree
Uh oh! You forgot that the fiancee is always right!





(Kidding of course).





Without going into a thousand trivial discussions, these variables are tough to operationalize, and thus I would doubt the validity of any correlation we may find.





I think the following are fair assumptions.


1) If there is any correlation, it would be strongest for the university at which the person received his/her most advanced degree.


2) If there is any correlation, it is nonnegative.





So I think we can restrict our question to whether or not the reputation of the university of the highest degree *does* or *does not* increase self-reported life satisfaction. I don't know if this study has been done, but I would expect the correlation to be negligible.





The person's job after graduation should have a large impact on life satisfaction, but the job depends much more on the degree than the university. Even if we assume (for the sake of argument) that graduates of better schools earn more money, that still doesn't suggest higher satisfaction since wealth is not a reliable indicator of happiness.





Okay that went longer than I intended. My point is that I highly doubt there is any correlation, but that I doubt a study has been done on the topic due to the subjective nature of the variables.


No comments:

Post a Comment