Monday, November 16, 2009

How do the concepts of satisfaction and loyalty apply in the context of choosing a college?

I would think that satisfaction as you enter college would have to do with things such as a college being able to offer it's students a quality education (might be more of your parents satisfaction meter, but believe me, it should be yours) as well as a socail life. I've always told my neice and nephews, that half of what they would be learning in college, they would be learning outside the classroom; in other words, you should be learning how to interact with your peers, your professors as well as college administrators and hopefully with outside vendors should you decide to get involved with student group organizations (which I highly recomend). The skill of knowing how to deal with people is a very valuable skill.


One side piece of advice. No matter what industry you go into one fact is going to be true in any job and that is that you are going to have to know how to deal with people, both the nice ones and the not so nice ones; so why wait until you're out of college to learn?


I think you'll see that your idea of satisfaction with your college once you graduate will come in the form of asking questions such as, is there a network of alumnis I can tap into once I get into my choosen field, and when I'm applying for a job, does the college I attend have a good repuation for putting out qualified candidates in my choosen field.


As far as loyalty goes, I think the least you can expect from the college you attended is to offer you some type assistance in finding a job; even if it's as simple as a listing of job opportunities and networking opportunities, I would think a college in this point in time should be loyal in that sense.


Hope that helps, and good luck with you decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment