Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How does organizational culture impact individual values, motivation, and/or job satisfaction?

I think the organizational cultures of the work environment DEFINITELY affect an employees motivation and level of job satisfaction. I have worked in places with two extremes:





1. An office environment that was very big on "creativity." A very profitable company that paid well. Though senior members of the office were obviously in charge, there was no real sense of anyone being a subordinate. I enjoyed working here but was aware that every once in a while the relaxed environment created office drama and sometimes you just want to head to work and not think about the social scene.





2. A very profitable fortune 500 company. Very traditional corporate environment with a definite sense of seniority in the office and the constant need for professionalism (even outside of work!!!). I enjoyed working here as well but went to work each day with lots of stress on my back. I had this constant sense of panic inside me and thought about work constantly. Even dreaming of it at night. The need to constantly be a perfect suit was really draining for me but it seemed like it worked well and even motivated others there.





* Ended up leaving the corporate culture entirely and am teaching argument at the state university. The academic culture suits me well and I really enjoy what I learn from the students.


No comments:

Post a Comment