Thursday, April 15, 2010

How does leadership affect the performance, motivation, and satisfaction of teachers and staff?

I believe leadership has everything to do with the performance, motivation, and satisfaction of teachers and staff. I am a teacher myself and have worked under at least five different leaders. They have all ranged from the best to the worst. If a leader is not willing to give it their best, then those under him/her are less willing to give their best efforts. Fortunately, I am self motivated and have given my best regardless of leadership, but I have certainly noticed that some of my colleagues have not given much when under the leadership of someone unmotivated, shall we say. I suppose I compare it to my classroom: when I set high standards, my students, for the most part, try their best even if it is challenging, while if I don't set high standards, many don't do very well at all. It is also very helpful when leadership tells their faculty/staff that they are doing a good job. As humans, we all need a "pat on the back" from time to time. Hope this is helpful to you.

How does leadership affect the performance, motivation, and satisfaction of teachers and staff?
What Zita stated was well said. I would add that leadership that backs up its teachers and staff (or not) can have a tremendous affect. We live in a society where parents have relinquished much of their responsibility for raising their children and often fully expect teachers and school personnel to "do their jobs" so to speak. Its important for school administrators to stand behind their staff and back them up on established principals and rules. An administrator that has a reputation for being a "parent pleaser" will eventually loose the respect of his or her staff and undermine their authority in the classroom.
Reply:I think Zita hit the nail on the head.

student loan

No comments:

Post a Comment